Friday 2 March 2012

eat: it�s ph? friday!

pho 3

Ph? is one of my most favourite things to eat. I�ve been a fan of the tasty Vietnamese noodle soup ever since my first spoonful.

It's hearty, bursting with flavour, cures whatever ails you and is extremely affordable. I can't think of a better way to combat a cold winter�s day than with a piping hot bowl of ph?.

pho 1

A typical bowl of ph? consists of rice noodles and slim cuts of beef (steak, fatty flank, lean flank, brisket) swimming in a steaming hot, aromatic beef broth. I usually order a small bowl (large = a cauldron) with thinly sliced rare steak (the beef cooks in the broth) and additional items that some people might classify as "exotic," like beef balls and tripe. I love me some tripe.

For freshness and added zest, ph? is garnished with fresh bean sprouts, basil, cilantro and lime wedges. 

Sriracha (hot chili) and hoisin sauces are also found at the table, but I prefer to enjoy my ph? as is, in all its flavourful glory. My husband, on the other hand, is a lover of spice and invariably adds a few generous squirts of hot chili sauce directly into his bowl to heighten the heat.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

pho 2

Want to try this noodle soup bliss for yourself?

Check out one of these slurp-worthy Edmonton restos:

Are you a ph? enthusiast? Is there a place you frequent? I�d love to add a few new places to our list.

My next culinary challenge is to try to make ph? at home. I�ll let you know how it goes, no matter what happens.

Have a ph?bulous weekend, friends! (;

Dajana

p.s. Wondering how to pronounce ph?? This post will teach you in mere seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment