Monday 26 August 2013

house refresh: new table & rug

When Scott and I first bought our 1950s semi-bungalow, it was meant to be a stop-gap until we found our forever home. Eight years later, we're still happy living here, but that doesn�t change the fact that some of our rooms are in need of a refresh (including our 60 year old kitchen which needs either a miracle or Scott McGillivray).

We had already done a lot to the house in our eight years of ownership, but when it comes to older homes there always seems to be something that warrants your attention.

Erin McLaughlin homeDaffodil Design

I started with our main floor sitting room which had been missing a coffee table for a while. I had moved an animal print ottoman into the foyer for us to perch on while we put on our shoes which left a gap in the room (fantastic for spontaneous dance parties but challenging when you want to serve snacks and drinks to company).

I knew I wanted a glass table as soon as I spied some in the homes of Style at Home editor, Erin McLaughlin and Sarah Milne of daffodil design (both pictured above). Although, Sarah�s Urban Barn Thilde table is no longer available (it�s been replaced with this), I was able to find a similar one at Structube for quite a bit less.

Rug 1 edited

I like that the table adds a modern edge to the room and helps to showcase the gorgeous patterned rug I found at Home Sense. I love that place. Who doesn't really?

Now that the table and rug are off the list, it's on to these to dos:

Sitting room
Purchase coffee table, side table,  rug (dog friendly!), drapes & sofa (this one's nice)
Front door
Paint door, mailbox & light fixture, switch out house numbers
Front entry
Find wallpaper & light fixture
Foyer
Find light fixture & assemble gallery wall
Kitchen
Entire redo including floors, cabinets, countertops & window
Main floor bathroom
Gut job!
Master bedroom and dressing room
New windows, drapes (ordered sample fabrics from Tonic Living) 
Dining room
Find vintage brass bar cart, new art
Basement
Paint guest room & add gallery wall to main area

I'm hoping that by posting this list I'll be kept accountable and actually get things done. Because having lots of ideas swimming in my head is not really working out for me.

Let me know what you think of the table and rug!

p.s. Trying to make out what books are on the table? It's Domino: The Book of Decorating, Design*Sponge at Home and Home by Novogratz. I got the latter two for a steal at Home Sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment