Monday 16 May 2016

My Tiffany's


Holly Golightly said that nothing very bad can happen to a person at Tiffany's.  I second that.  The real world slips away and we are lost in fantasy and beauty and like Holly, we feel safe.

I'm not talking about physical safety because sadly, that's never a guarantee anymore.  I'm talking about emotional safety.  A congenial spot of happily-ever-after.  At least while you are there.

For me, that place is sweet and wholesome Country Curtains.  I adore the faux windows with swags of dotted swiss, lace, or linen.  There's nothing prettier than the imitation landscapes just beyond each one -pastoral scenes with sloping hills and light.  The calming colors charm me with possibilities.  The porcelain lamps with pristine shades and flirty finials inspire me with their graceful lines - all warmly lit to welcome me. Bright yet tasteful cushions on fabricated beds invite me to fall into them.  So soft, so enticing...

The ladies at Country Curtains are efficient and kind.  They believe in me -  in my ability to hang a pocket curtain rod as well as my dreamy vision.  If I want an orange print pillow for the rocking chair in my blue living room, they are completely onboard as they run around the shop fetching fabrics to drape together, showing me how perfect my fantasy is.  The deep blue sky is the limit as far as they are concerned.  They even remember me, no matter how long I've been away and ask how I made out with the lace panels I bought two years ago and do I still love my floral shower curtain?  If I want the valance to match, the ladies know just where to put their hands on it.  

Everything at Country Curtains is built to last.  The springy hooked rugs scattered on the handsome hardwoods look like they were hidden in Grandma's attic yet are as fresh as yesterday.  Tiny silver salt and pepper shakers shaped like mini-artichokes look both new and vintage.  There is an air of craftsmanship and timelessness that satisfies, even if I am only "window shopping".

In a world where vulgarity rules the day, I can always slip into Country Curtains for a touch of lang syne.  The quality of the merchandise and the friendly and kindly staff make me feel that anything is possible again.  Like Holly, I find my tea and sympathy.  My own Tiffany's...where nothing bad can happen.

What is your Tiffany's?





  

No comments:

Post a Comment