Tuesday 19 July 2011

it's the little things...

 ... that make me happy. Like walking our choco-lab Lucy in Edmonton's bucolic river valley.



Surprisingly, I'd been deathly afraid of dogs for most of my life. And then I married a boy, who as a child, had dreamed of owning a labrador retriever. Ack! What was a girl to do? Well, this particular lady thought about it, dog ownership, that is, for quite some time. It took me about five years to feel comfortable with the idea of a dog. During this period of contemplation, every dog owner I knew would tell me that getting my own puppy would help me to get over my fear. And guess what? They were all right. Adding Lucy to our family was the best thing we could have done, and in fulfilling Scott's childhood dream, I also gave myself two incredible gifts - unconditional puppy love and freedom from a paralyzing fear!



To this day, I still wonder how it is that I - scaredy pants Dajana - became a dog owner. While walking Lucy, I'll often think to myself, "Holy cow! I can't believe I'm walking through a dog park, with my dog. This is so flippin' cool!"

Life can be full of such happy surprises when we're open to the possibilities.

Dajana 

No comments:

Post a Comment