Thursday 22 January 2015

how to relax & fall asleep quickly


Getting my brain to turn off at bedtime can be difficult. Especially when I have a gazillion things on my mind. During the day, I feel pretty happy-go-lucky, but as I lie down at night, my mind starts spinning. Lately the tossing and turning topics include trying to have a baby (we have a BIG doctor's appointment coming up on Monday) and the logistics of a full kitchen renovation. Exciting and good things yes, but also anxiety inducing, as is my wont.

So when I recently came across this breathing technique I immediately decided to give it a try.

Here's how it works:

Step 1: Breath in silently through your nose for a count of 4.
Step 2: Hold your breath to the count of 7.
Step 3: Exhale through your mouth while making a whooshing sound to the count of 8.
Step 4: Now inhale again and repeat the cycle another three times or until you fall asleep.

I've been doing it for the past week and it honestly works! Admittedly, I felt like I was going to die the first few times I held my breath, but I got the hang of it quickly. And it's gotten easier with each passing night. Now I'm usually asleep after three rounds of 4-7-8.  Blessedly sweet sleep. It's become my go-to method to "close some tabs" when my thoughts get a little all over the place.

Are you a good sleeper? Any tips? Or are you a worrier, too? When it comes to worrying, we can really nail it sometimes (:

P.S. This brilliant website puts a single day of your life in perspective.

Print via. It's funny 'cause it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment